Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Progress (Lack Of)

Pretty much as expected, I haven't done much in the way of writing in the last week. Busy schedule, holiday craziness, blah blah blah. Excuses are boring.

But it's a new year, right? So tell me what's going on in the new year for you! I'm working on losing the weight I gained last year (way more than I really want to cop to) and trying to get some stuff settled at the Day Job. I know I'm supposed to offer up some variety of resolution related to writing, but to be honest, since writing is a labor of love and I'm not trying to pay my bills with it, then at least for the time being, I kind of need it to be a low-stress, low-pressure, I'll-get-to-it-eventually sort of thing. Because if I make it another job, then that leaches some of the love away and makes it yet one more thing for me to use to compare myself to unfavorably.

And who needs that? Not me. If I only publish something once a year, then so be it. Would it help my sales if I was a little more productive? Sure. But I'm slowly trying to wean myself off my frantic thrashing over the lack of time in my schedule. Some nights, I'd rather dork with photos than write. Some nights, I just want to watch TV or read. For the next week or so, I've got a house that needs to be un-decorated and de-cluttered. There's a local sci-fi con in a week and a half that I've already bought tickets for. (Are you going? Let me know!)

One of the big frustrations I have with my kids is that they'll ask me to do something, and then when I'm in the middle of that, they'll ask me to do something else. Like they can't see that I'm already busy with something. I've lost track of the number of times I've said, "Just wait; I can only do one thing at a time."

Funny that I don't want to apply that to myself -- but I really need to start. Don't worry; I'm not going to quit writing. I don't think I can. But I'm trying to make the effort to allow myself to focus on one thing at a time (as much as any parent is allowed to, anyway). Cleaning up the house. Getting back into my diet and exercise program. Getting caught up at the Day Job. Like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment