Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The Incomparable Couch of Death

Last call for Katherine Halle, who won the second octopus! Aidee received hers, and was kind enough to send me a picture of it getting acquainted with her cat:


Those two are going to be excellent friends, don't you think? ;-)

***

I wasn't sure what I would talk about today -- I've been writing some, but only a tiny bit. I'd blame it on how terribly busy I am, but the truth is that I've gotten rather obsessed with crocheting lately. Specifically, crocheting amigurumi (as the octopi contest would rather make obvious). And even more specifically, in the last week, bunnies. I even made a Bunny Doctor Who:


(My particular favorite Doctor is the 10th reincarnation, played by David Tennant. But the fez and bow tie are a lot easier to render into crocheted form.)

But then today, I was listening to John Green's latest vlog post, wherein, in celebration of the official (calendar) arrival of spring, he read a poem by e. e. cummings which blew me away.

I'm not really into poetry, as a rule, but this one was amazing. It managed to be intellectual and a little political and sexy all at the same time, and it did it quickly -- I don't think John's reading of the poem takes more than about forty seconds. I had to go hunt it down so I could re-read it a few times (good poetry always makes you dig) and it continued to be amazing. And since it was so sexy, I thought I'd share it with you, too. Not all erotica has to be lowbrow, after all. Enjoy:

O sweet spontaneous
earth how often have
the
doting

          fingers of
prurient philosophers pinched
and
poked

thee
,has the naughty thumb
of science prodded
thy

      beauty      .how
oftn have religions taken
thee upon their scraggy knees
squeezing and

buffeting thee that thou mightest conceive
gods
        (but
true

to the incomparable
couch of death thy
rhythmic
lover

          thou answerest


them only with


                        spring)

I'm not usually a huge e. e. cummings fan, but really, such fantastic imagery. Discussion, anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment