Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Editorial

I read an article yesterday about why writers should cooperate with their editors as much as possible. It made a lot of excellent points, some of which were even new to me.

But it was hard to get on board with the post, even though I agreed with all its points. Even though I am an editor. Why?

Because the post... was in desperate need of an edit.

There were typos and misspelled words. There were sentences that were broken -- had obviously been written and then re-written another way but with remnants of the original structure left behind. There were a couple of paragraphs that were wildly misplaced, and one that should have been removed entirely.

I'm still trying to figure out if the author did that on purpose to illustrate his point.

***

I had a plot bunny crawl out of the ground and bite me on the ankles this morning. It's a YA/self-discovery sort of thing, though, which I haven't done before, so I don't know if it will go anywhere.

I need to get something off the ground, though, because my list of "out" submissions is down to just one.

No comments:

Post a Comment